Software Engineer, Android
Software Engineer, Android
Location: Washington, Colorado, and Vancouver BC (Remote OK)
Hours (Pacific Time): Full Time
Pluto’s mission is to help humanity transcend physical location.
To achieve our mission, we're building PlutoSphere; a cloud-streaming service for VR games and applications. We have thousands of monthly active users on the service playing high-end PC VR games on their mobile headsets. We are in an extraordinary position and are looking for people to join our team who are passionate about advancing the future of XR.
Team Culture and Values
Our engineering team values a culture of collaboration and continuous improvement. We believe in frequent information sharing - especially through pair programming - to ensure that all team members are aligned and able to learn from one another.
We also prioritize unit testing and code documentation as essential components of a robust software development process. We place a strong emphasis on testing and quality assurance practices, and we use Git and Pull Requests to manage and track code changes. We also implement continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) practices to ensure that our code is deployable at any time.
We follow Agile/Scrum methodologies and believe in continuously questioning and improving our processes and practices to ensure that we are delivering the best possible software to our users.
As a remote-first team, we are committed to remote work and use a VR chat client for our daily scrum meetings. We also have an office and VR lab in Seattle, which team members are welcome to use if they are in the area. We value team members who are passionate about staying current with future technologies and are excited to work collaboratively with their peers.
About the Role
- You will work along-side other developers on the PlutoSphere team working on different layers of the infrastructure. Therefore, commitment to collaborative problem solving and knowledge sharing is essential
- You will lead the development of our PlutoSphere Android client that integrates with other components of PlutoSphere’s VR Streaming service
- You will work with new and existing OpenXR hardware platforms to develop and deploy high-performance wearable AR, VR, and XR experiences to our users
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the client by identifying and correcting bottlenecks and bugs
- Help maintain code quality, organization, optimization, and automation
- Excellent communication and enthusiasm to work collaboratively
- 5+ years professional programming experience working on user-facing products
- 2+ years developing native Android applications or equivalent high-performance, real-time mobile applications
- Experience with game development, 3D rendering or similar work in graphics
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs to connect Android clients to back-end services
- Knowledge of testing and quality assurance practices including unit testing and code documentation
- Experience with performance profiling and optimization
Nice to Haves
- Experience with developing for standalone VR/AR (Pico Neo, Meta Quest, VIVE Focus, HoloLens, ARKit, etc.) is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with the Gradle build system and optimization
- Familiarity with embedded browsers
- Competitive base salary
- A healthy, friendly, positive and collaborative engineering culture
- Stock options to share in the growth that you help create
- Unlimited PTO
- 100% medical coverage for you and 50% for your dependents
- 401K match
- Quarterly wellness benefit
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Education budget and career-growth opportunities
Everyone is welcome to apply
Discrimination has no place here. We don’t just say that; we live it. Pluto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We work diligently to make all employment decisions without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), national origin, disability, age, genetic information, or any other personal status, including but not limited to those protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
The standard salary range with options for this position is $140,000 - $180,000 annually with options